There are two ways to remove gel nail polish, and both include the key ingredient – acetone
. You’ll require a specific pure acetone gel polish remover for it to be efficient on gel nail brands such as OPI
The first method is to fill up a tray with acetone and allow the nails to soak in it for five to ten minutes. The majority of nail technicians prefer the foils method, as this reduces the skin contact with acetone which can dry out the skin on the hands.
Follow these steps for soaking off a gel manicure using foils:
1. Buff the nails to remove the top layer of gel polish and if needed, use a scraping tool. The more nail polish you can remove before the foils, the better.
2. Soak a cotton pad with acetone and place over the nail. Keep it in place with foil wrapped around the finger. You need to do this for each nail, gently wrapping the tip of the finger in foil.
3. Leave foils in place for five to ten minutes.
4. Remove the foil and cotton pad from the nail you did first, and test with a wooden stick to see if the gel polish gently comes away. If not, place acetone soaked pad back on the nail and leave for a further few minutes.
5. Start from the nail you did first and work your way through each finger, gently scraping the gel polish which has softened.