Opening your own nail technician business could feel like an unobtainable dream, but it shouldn’t be. Starting your own nail business may seem daunting, but there are various ways that you can accomplish this – you can work from home, in a salon or even by visiting customers in their homes. Whatever choice you make, there are a few things you should consider before making the leap and start your journey to becoming your own boss!
Research, Research, Research!
So you’ve decided you want to start your own business – what’s next? Next is thinking about what you want to do, how you want to do and if you can afford to do. Some of the questions you need to ask yourself include:
- Do I have the required qualifications or do I need to go and do a course? You should consider how much the course may be or how long this may take.
- How many hours do I want to work per week? Be realistic and think about other commitments!
- How much money do I need to start the business and how am I going to get this? Think about whether this will come from savings or whether a business loan may be appropriate.
- How much do I need to make out of my business? Consider how much salary you’d like to make and how much money is required to cover any costs – for example, equipment or renting a space at a salon.
What’s Your Market?
You’ve decided you’re good to go – you have the money and the qualification but do you have the potential customers and clients? Think about:
- How many other nail technicians and nail salons you are aware of locally? Is there any room for anyone else in the community or is there too many?
- Can you do something different? Think about what the current salons do and visit their locations – you might see that you can offer something different whether that be visiting clients at home or offering parties.
- Don’t rely on friends and family to be your clients! Make sure you think about your target customers and don’t just assume you’ll be able to make money from people you know. Think about who will come to you and what your main selling point is.
Insurance and Tax
Exciting news – you’ve decided you’re going to be starting your own business! But now you’ve got to think practically – here are some of those things you should consider:
- Do I need insurance? It may be worth looking into insurance even if you are working from home to protect yourself just in case.
- Do I need to register as self-employed and how do I pay tax? A visit to the HMRC website can assist with this and will give you guidance regarding how to register as self-employed and other related queries.
Now you’ve decided to open your business, remember to look at Jealous Nails
to purchase all the supplies for your exciting new venture!